They say that opposites attract. That rule does not apply to Justin and me when it comes to our eating habits. We are both what you might call picky eaters. Justin doesn't like beans of any kind, or eggs, and he won't eat broccoli. I like to tease him because when we first met he didn't even like corn. What red-blooded, American farm boy doesn't like corn?! Over time I convinced him that no one doesn't like corn, and now he eats it fairly regularly.
My main aversions are tomatoes and hot dogs. I can remember being near tears when I was little and would see my mom making hot dogs for us. I was just sure she forgot that they made me want to throw up. But, as great moms do, she always remembered and served me an alternative.
We often joke with family and friends about our pickiness, but when it came to Kendry I wanted to have a different approach. I decided that if he modeled his eating habits after us he was likely to miss out on some important nutrients in his diet, not to mention some spectacular cuisine. Fortunately, since starting solid foods nearly four months ago, Kendry has shown no real aversions to anything we have fed him. He has tried nearly every recommended fruit, veggie, meat and snack food for his age and enjoyed each one. Well, with the exception of pureed ham, which he got halfway through and then started gagging a little. I really can't fault him on that one; the smell alone was enough to make me gag. We have since opted for feeding him small bits of real ham, which he loves.
Kendry loved his Gerber Graduate cereal puffs from the very beginning. When those ran out this last week we moved him to Cheerios. Obviously he loved those as well - that is, when he could figure out where they kept disappearing to.
My thoughts exactly.
No comments:
Post a Comment