background

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti and Molly

This last week I was incredibly impacted by the tragedy in Haiti, particularly the story of Molly Hightower. I first heard about Molly the day after the earthquake, when local news stations mentioned her family and their search for news that Molly was alright. You see, Molly was from Port Orchard, Washington and had been living in Haiti since last summer. Following her graduation in June 2009, she set off to Haiti for a year to work with orphans. She even started a blog about her experience:

http://mollyinhaiti.blogspot.com/


In the days following the earthquake I read Molly's blog and was overcome with admiration. At only 22 years of age, she took a year out of her life to give back to others, specifically children with special needs and/or who have been abandoned. There is no doubt that she dearly loved these children.

Sadly, Molly did not survive the earthquake. My heart breaks for her family, and for the children she loved so dearly in Haiti. I do not know if any of these children on Molly's blog survived. I pray that they did, but even if they didn't I know they are rejoicing with their Heavenly Father above, and they are no longer afflicted by their disabilities.

Jesus said "...whatever you did for one of the least of them, you did for me." (Matt. 25:40)

I challenge you, as I am challenging myself: what are you doing today to help others in need? Joyce Meyer says it should be our goal to reach out to at least one person in need every day, be it making a meal for a family going through a stressful time, or going out of your way to smile and demonstrate kindness to the clerk behind the checkout counter. Not all of us can take a year out of our lives to work with orphans, but we can demonstrate Christ's love for others in our daily lives.

On this side of heaven we will never know the full extent of how our life and our actions affect those we come into contact with. Molly's life was only a short 22 years, but if you look at her blog you will get a small glimpse of how many people were impacted by her story.

I hope some day I will see Molly in heaven and have the opportunity to thank her for her sacrifice, and for the impression she has made upon me to strive to be a better person each and every day by giving unto others.

No comments:

Post a Comment