background

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"The stockings were hung by the chimney with care..."

Three years ago, Justin bought me my very first sewing machine for Christmas. Its just a little Brother machine from Wal-mart, but it has been a great starter model for me. These days the high-tech sewing machines by Singer and Bernina seem to have hundreds of different features and tools, not to mention their computer capabilities. As much as I would love to have a fancy machine that can make almost anything, the very thought of even glancing at the user manual of one of those machines is enough to make me break into a sweat. We have had our new digital camera for over a year now and I still can't really tell you how to use it. That should give you some indication of how motivated I am to tackle new technology.
The very first pattern I bought was for a Christmas tree skirt and stockings. I tackled the stockings first, making them with corduroy fabric dotted with snowflakes. Justin's is blue, mine is red. They turned out beautifully, especially for a first sewing project. This year it took me a little while to get Kendry's stocking done. Who knew a baby could take up so much of the time I used to allocate to crafts, decorating and sewing? I decided to make Kendry's stocking out of corduroy as well, but picked out a different fabric color and pattern.
Something about each of us having unique handmade stockings is so precious to me. If you look at them closely you will see that each one has a few little sewing errors here and there, and they vary slightly in size, but that is what makes them so special. At last, we are a family of three this Christmas.
I finally got the stockings hung above the fireplace last night. Hey, they only need to be up by Christmas Eve, right? Beforehand, I let Kendry do a quick inspection of his stocking:
He likes it!Then he got distracted by a present...

As for the tree skirt pattern I have had for the last three years, I think I might finally get around to buying the fabric on clearance after Christmas. Check back with me in another year to see if its finished.











No comments:

Post a Comment