Have you seen the show "Ice Road Truckers" on the History Channel? Justin and I watched a few of the Canada episodes, and then a few more of the Alaska ones. I will admit that the main attraction to me was simply seeing the Alaskan scenery, which I still miss terribly, even when I know Alaska is in the dead of winter.
For those who don't know, my dad is a truck driver in Alaska. And no, that is not his truck in the picture above. Here I am with him in August 2007 at Hilltop truck stop, which is just north of Fairbanks. We are standing in front of the load he was hauling to Prudhoe.
It has become a tradition for Justin and I to meet my dad for breakfast at Hilltop when we visit Alaska. Even though Kendry wasn't eating solid food last summer, he still got to tag along for an authentic truck stop breakfast. Hilltop is where Justin proposed to me in 2005 - of course, when we were meeting my dad for breakfast before he headed north.
My dad has spent decades driving what is known as the haul road in Alaska, so I especially love hearing his take on "Ice Road Truckers". I actually watched an episode with him this last summer and got a kick of how often he chuckled or shook his head at the portrayal of the Alaskan truck drivers and their adventurous occupation.
Here is my dad in his truck a few years ago (with my nephew Caden):
My pops recently shared his thoughts and knowledge for a magazine article about the reality show "Ice Road Truckers":
http://www.akbizmag.com/component/content/article/1089.html
For those who don't know, my dad is a truck driver in Alaska. And no, that is not his truck in the picture above. Here I am with him in August 2007 at Hilltop truck stop, which is just north of Fairbanks. We are standing in front of the load he was hauling to Prudhoe.
It has become a tradition for Justin and I to meet my dad for breakfast at Hilltop when we visit Alaska. Even though Kendry wasn't eating solid food last summer, he still got to tag along for an authentic truck stop breakfast. Hilltop is where Justin proposed to me in 2005 - of course, when we were meeting my dad for breakfast before he headed north.My dad has spent decades driving what is known as the haul road in Alaska, so I especially love hearing his take on "Ice Road Truckers". I actually watched an episode with him this last summer and got a kick of how often he chuckled or shook his head at the portrayal of the Alaskan truck drivers and their adventurous occupation.
Here is my dad in his truck a few years ago (with my nephew Caden):
My pops recently shared his thoughts and knowledge for a magazine article about the reality show "Ice Road Truckers":http://www.akbizmag.com/component/content/article/1089.html
Love you, Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment