background

Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Boys Will Be Joys



by Dave Meurer

Boys Will Be Joys


GoodReads description:
Parenting is not for wimps. When it comes down to it, sometimes parents just have to wing it, says Dave Meurer, father of two rambunctious boys. In this delightful read, Meurer waxes humorously on the miraculous feat of raising boys and staying sane at the same time.



My Review:
I snatched up this funny read while it was a Kindle freebie last month. I am always on the lookout for great Christian parenting books - and parenting boys books are even better. I cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard reading a book, particularly in the first few chapters. While the author doesn't dive into any new and deep parenting concepts, I really enjoyed his insights. This quote really stood out to me:

"The Bible speaks of believers as "living stones" that are being built into a temple for God. I think that is an apt metaphor for parenting. Our kids are not widgits or robots or computer programs that predictably react to our "input". They are living stones. Of course, the comparison breaks down, because God is all-powerful, which is an extremely helpful attribute when you are dealing with living stones. Fortunately, God does not require you to make an entire temple out of these squirming, scampering, bouncing, and, eventually, driving stones. He is asking that you do your level best to set them on a solid foundation. Then He will do the heavy lifting. "


 
I only gave this book 3 stars because it contained more anecdotes than parenting principles. However, I loved the author's down-to-earth writing style and it is obvious he has a heart for God and his family. I would love to read more of his work.
 
 
Linking up here:

How Sweet it is!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment