When I first saw this technique used I was a bit skeptical...
...and yet intrigued.
Could it really be that simple to create such a neat texture using tin foil?
Yes.
Yes, it is.
Mandy over at Vintage Revivals did this to a nightstand of all things!
Miss Mustard Seed did it on a frame.
Me?
I chose this simple urn I found for a few dollars at my local thrift store.
My first instinct was to paint it a bright white and use it as a vase. I could see it stacked with beautiful tulips on my dining room table. But I was also feeling the itch to try something new.
First I gave the urn a coat of light gray paint I had from another project. I didn't want the ugly brown paint and flowers showing through if I ended up with any gaps in my layer of foil.
{no offense to the original artist}
{no offense to the original artist}
After letting the paint dry, I proceeded to cut approximately 5x5 inch squares of my household tin foil.
I wrinkled up each square and then flattened them back out. Then I Mod-Podged each square individually onto the urn, painting another coat of Mod-Podge over the top of the squares once they were applied.
I applied only one layer of foil over the entire urn and lid, trying not to overlap the foil too much.
After this first layer dried I gave the entire urn one more coat of Mod-Podge to help truly secure the foil.
This was followed by a light coat of my Valspars Antiquing Glaze.
How amazing is that texture?
Since its only January I had to use some artificial foliage, but come April she is going to look stunning filled with tulips.
This was followed by a light coat of my Valspars Antiquing Glaze.
How amazing is that texture?
Much better than plain old white.
Since its only January I had to use some artificial foliage, but come April she is going to look stunning filled with tulips.

No comments:
Post a Comment