I have to give credit where credit is due. I hijacked the title of this post from the novel I read just before Thanksgiving, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Its a touching and funny story about a family written from the family dog's perspective.
It was a fitting theft since my time spent reading this book contributes to the very topic of this post: TARDINESS.
I confess, I am one of those people who is late less than prompt to almost everything. I would blame it on having a kiddo if I could, but the truth is I was late perpetually tardy long before parenthood, and marriage for that matter.
Dang! There goes my excuse for blaming Justin too.
Is it just me or does the very word 'late' sound rude?
Doctor's appointments, parties (for which I call it 'fashionably late') and yes, even work and church.
Its bad.
And it needs to change.
Parenting finally showed me the light.
As of late, I have had one two many mornings that by the time I get Kendry into the car I have already gotten horribly impatient with him. Granted, his independent streak that demands he put on his own shoes and climb into his car seat by himself requires superhuman patience in itself. But when we're I'm already running late these little hold-ups nearly put me over the edge.
And thats not the mom I want to be.
"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
~Galations 5:22~
Case in point:
I started reading The Art of Racing in the Rain on a Wednesday night and simply could not put it down, which means I didn't fall asleep until 11:30pm. Kendry is usually up around 6:30am.
lack of sleep + toddler 'slower than a snail' eating behaviors + poor time management + toddler independence = unnecessary stress
unnecessary stress in the morning = tardiness = a grumpy and snippity momma
And as we all know:
When momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!
When momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!
The irony is that every time I am on time or {gasp!} early, I think to myself:
"This is nice. I don't feel rushed or stressed."
"I think I'm even a nicer person to be around when I'm on time."
Apparently the trend for 2012 is to come up with a 'word of the year' for yourself - a more specific New Year's resolution, if you will, all summed up in a single word.
My word for 2012 is:
Time Management
Okay, thats technically two words, but I don't care.
It fits.
God has been challenging me to re-think my priorities and identify where I am spending my time.
Am I a good steward of the time He is giving me?
Are my priorities centered around the things this world demands from me as a wife and mother?
Or are my priorities centered around things with eternal significance?
Are my priorities centered around God and the calling He has placed in my life?
I know its going to take some serious discipline and prayer,
but I am so excited to see what God will reveal to me as I honor Him with my time.
What is your word for 2012?
"This is nice. I don't feel rushed or stressed."
"I think I'm even a nicer person to be around when I'm on time."
Apparently the trend for 2012 is to come up with a 'word of the year' for yourself - a more specific New Year's resolution, if you will, all summed up in a single word.
My word for 2012 is:
Time Management
Okay, thats technically two words, but I don't care.
It fits.
God has been challenging me to re-think my priorities and identify where I am spending my time.
Am I a good steward of the time He is giving me?
Are my priorities centered around the things this world demands from me as a wife and mother?
Or are my priorities centered around things with eternal significance?
Are my priorities centered around God and the calling He has placed in my life?
I know its going to take some serious discipline and prayer,
but I am so excited to see what God will reveal to me as I honor Him with my time.
What is your word for 2012?
I'm totally there with you on this one. I had a perfectly happy day until I had to rush off to the gym. It's not the place I am dying to go to and to add the stress of running late and then every inconvenience that pops in your way as you're racing to get somewhere makes for a very angry and intense walk on the treadmill. Peace! Peace! I need Peace or at least a half a break! My trainer saw the stress all over my face so we made a new plan. Whew!
ReplyDeleteI think my work should be grateful. I need to stop comparing myself to others and all that they have and remember to be grateful for all the gifts I have been given.
ReplyDeleteI had to LOL about Kendry being so independent. Grant decided this morning (as I was running late) that he needed to get into the car by himself. It was making me crazy b/c it took him so long! I guess I need to start adding "independent time" to my schedule planning now!