background

Monday, January 24, 2011

Light a Candle...

...cuz I'm on fire!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Remember this from my Grown-Up Christmas List in December?


Well, Justin and I did indeed stop at Lowes on our drive back home after Christmas. Since then this little jar has been sitting every so patiently on our paint shelf, just waiting for me to feel inspired.
I finally cracked it open for my mirror turned task board, thinking it would give me the antiqued look I was going for. Alas, one brush stroke in and the striking contrast of this dark glaze on my beautiful white task board freaked me out. I immediately wiped it off, threw the lid back on the glaze and hid it...errr...I mean set it back on the shelf until I could work up more courage to use it.
Freaked out by jar of glaze. Yep, thats me.
But this week the little jar started calling my name again.
"Jooooodddyyyyy.... oh, Jooooddddyyyy!"

{Oooo, this could be a fun horror movie!
"HGTV presents The Haunting of the Glaze, starring Reese Witherspoon.
Brought to you with limited commercials by Valspars."
No?
To what, the title?
Or me being played by Reese Witherspoon? }
Anyway, so this time I was ready.
The project: this candelabra we inherited from my husband's grandparents. I have never owned a candelabra and thought that with a little TLC this one could be a beauty on my dining room table.
{Actually, I thought this could be a beauty on my dining room table for Christmas, but I didn't get around to it before then.}

On a warm day this last fall I lugged a few projects, including the candelabra, into our carport for some spraypainting, figuring the fresh air and great outdoor lighting would serve me better than my dark basement. I painted the candelabra a striking Krylon Colonial Red.
The next day my hubby very irritatingly pointed out that I had also (unintentionally) spraypainted the cement in the carport.
{GASP!}
Mind you, this is the same cement that he scrubbed, sealed and painted all by himself this last summer (often in 80+ degree heat) when we were painting our house.
{Did I not just tell you last week that I can't do home projects without at least a little bit of drama?}
I could have kicked myself! Instead, I apologized profusely to the hubs, borrowed some Goo Gone spray from a friend and scrubbed the heck out of the cement. Only spring and more daylight will reveal if I truly removed every last tint of Colonial Red from the cement.
If not, guess who gets to re-paint the carport this summer?
Lesson learned. Always have a good drop cloth or sufficient newspaper laid out to contain your spraypainting mess.


Anyway, earlier this week I took a few items from the spare room downstairs for a coat of spraypaint. While killing time between coats of paint I spotted the red candelabra and 'PING!'

{idea lightbulb above my head}


I cracked open my glaze once more, grabbed a brush and got to work.

Ain't she a thing of beauty?







Candlelit Valentine's dinner anyone?
Followed by the premiere of my HGTV horror flick?

And before you so kindly ask...

...no, this candelabra will not be going in the spare room. In fact, the style of this candelabra is such that it will stay out until the day after Valentine's Day and then I will be putting it away until next fall. Its just not a spring and summer piece for me.

So yeah, I admit that I got a little distracted from the Blogolution project at hand this last week. But getting in a little practice with my glaze is hardly a waste of my time.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I love that you added the glaze! Would love for you to come and visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete