background

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Have This Nagging Little Problem...

...and the problem is that I can be a nag.

While in my own mind I see it as simply reminding my hubby about things that need to get done, he hears nagging.

You know, Mars and Venus and all that good stuff.

Finally, after five years of marriage, and too many arguments about nagging to count, we have agreed to try another technique:

The Honey-Do task board!

Justin felt that the board reminding him of his Honey-Do tasks was a little less unnerving than my 'nagging'. Did I take offense to this? Nope. Perhaps I would have earlier in my marriage, but now its about finding a solution that works for both of us.
Plus, I got to do something crafty as part of the solution!

I found a gold framed mirror at Goodwill for $3, spraypainted the frame with lagoon, followed by slate gray, and then glazed it with Valspars Antiquing Glaze.
{Sorry, but I was so excited to start I didn't take a before picture.}

Then I painted over the mirror with my (new) Rustoleum chalkboard paint.

{Following the tips of other bloggers/crafters, I initiated my new chalkboard with a one time, all over coating with the chalk. This is supposed to keep your first notes on your chalkboard from getting permanently imprinted onto your board.}
Now I just write a task on the board, starring it if its a priority, and Justin is reminded non-verbally every time he sees the board.

We have it hanging on our new 'command center' wall (more on that later).

Will this solve Mars and Venus' nagging problem?

Only time will tell.

{Note: I used regular chalk for the sake of this post but have actually ordered some liquid chalk markers which are supposed to be more fun, and cleaner than regular chalk.}

2 comments:

  1. What a great finish on that frame....love it! Did you just use a cloth to wipe off the extra glaze, or something else to get into all the scrollwork? I've never heard of liquid chalk markers. Amazing what they have out there these days...let me know how they work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project! You did a fantastic job. Too bad about the "before" picture...I would have loved to seen the transformation!

    I too have never heard of liquid chalk markers. Can't wait to hear how they work.

    ReplyDelete