background

Monday, January 7, 2013

BIG Boy Bed



You got the sneak peek back here when it occurred to me just how big this bed actually is. Now I'll treat you to the full reveal!

Ready, Freddy?


Sadly, I didn't get a great 'before' picture of this bed. We bought it as a package deal on craigslist - the bed and the mattress for $200. The seller had a decent picture of the fully assembled bed on the listing, but by the time I called for information, the bed was disassembled and in storage. Since it was solid wood and in great condition (i.e. the wood was completely unfinished, meaning it was essentially prepped for painting - yeah, baby!), we bought it on site without assembling it.

Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate you as a reader, but you're crazy if you think I am Justin is going to assemble an entire captains bed for the sole purpose of taking a 'before' picture for you. We are full-time working parents, after all. Our time is precious.

Plus, I was impatient and ready to get painting!

So this will have to suffice as the 'before' pic:
 
 


There, now you see what the wood looked like.

After hemming and hawing over the paint color for a few weeks, I went with the Annie Sloan Aubusson Blue.

Aubusson Blue


I love the look of dark wax on Aubusson Blue, but since I didn't have dark wax I just used my Valspar Antiquing Glaze.



My process went like this:
1. Paint (only 1 coat! See why I love this paint?)
2. Distress lightly
3. Glaze for a dirty/worn look
4. Top with clear wax


 
I love, love, love it!


 



The dark glaze adds so much character.


 
 
 
 
 


I found the Pottery Barn quilt in impeccable condition on Ebay for $42 shipped.


 

 
My favorite finishing touch is the little baseball knob, which I found on Amazon.


 
 

This cabinet at the foot of the bed opens for storage underneath and, as Kendry just discovered, also serves as a spectacular hiding place.



 
Now back to the topic of disassembling and re-assembling this bed...

as it turns out, we're moving Kendry into the guest bedroom in order to use his current bedroom as the twins' nursery.

 
The DIYer in me is excited to complete two room makeovers before May.

The preggers in me would rather nap.


 

1 comment:

  1. That is such an adorable bed! I love the blue... great job!!

    ReplyDelete