background

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blogolution Update: The Nightstand Switcheroo and a Mirror

"Hi ho! Hi ho! Its back to the guest room I go..."

You may have noticed by now that after kicking off my Blogolution 2011 in my guest bedroom I quickly moved on to other projects like the kitchen nook, new office area, and front door - seemingly abandoning the guest bedroom mid-project.

That would be my design ADD at its finest right there.

But there is nothing like a houseguest or two to help me get back on track.

{The Nightstand}
After threatening for months to steal Justin's nightstand and give it a long overdue makeover, I finally followed through on my threat.

Actually, I followed through on my threat and stole it from him months ago; it has just taken me this long to finish it.

But thats neither here nor there.
What counts is that its finally finished.

Here is the before of Justin's nightstand area:
(50 points to you if you spotted one of my baseboard-less walls. Augh, another project for another day...)

Justin found this nightstand for about $10 at Goodwill when he was still in college. Its a pretty sturdy piece; it just needed a little TLC to show its true potential.
And the hardware was almost painful to look at.
Blech!

Then we had this nightstand in the guest bedroom:
I love the dark wood and shelf surface area, but this nightstand just wasn't right for this room.

So I pulled a switcheroo, stealing Justin's nightstand and putting the guest room nightstand in its place.

Justin's 'new' nightstand:
 (Yes, that is yet another baseboard-less wall.)

I have had that basket for ages and, whattaya' know, it fits perfectly!

With Justin appeased (not always an common occurrence when I'm moving furniture around without his approval), I set out to give the old nightstand, now known as Lila, a beautiful makeover.

Here she is before:

And here is Lila after:

I used Sherwin Williams Creamy for the body and Sherwin Williams Jubilee (light gray) for the cubby.
I also cut two pieces of paintable wallpaper (Home Depot) and pasted them to the top and the front of the drawer prior to painting.
The wallpaper helped to soften her up a little, don't you think?

Finally, I added some shiny new hardware (Home Depot).


BEFORE:

AFTER:



{The Mirror}
Remember when I told you about purchasing my piano bench, Gert, from a neighbor's yard sale last fall?


In July this same wonderful neighbor had another yard sale.
Knowing how much I adored her 'junk' last year, she let me have first dibs a day in advance.
Yeah, baby!
I admit I went a little crazy, but even in my craziness I only spent $26.
She gave me one heck of a deal.
Or maybe I should say about fifteen heck of a deals.
{Now pinky-swear that you will never tell my husband I came home with that many items from a single yard sale.}

One of those items was an ornate gold mirror.
I forgot to take a before picture, but this is essentially what I started with:

Perfect for my guest bedroom, no?

Awhile back I purchased some Rustoleum Green Apple spraypaint.
Some girls collect jewelry. Others collect shoes.
I collect spraypaint.
My husband thinks I have an addiction.
He is probably right.

Not two weeks after my purchase I spotted (and subsequently pinned) this dresser over at Apothecary Home.
I simply died over this green and black contrast.
The color?
Rustoleum Green Apple!

With this inspiration, I spraypainted my mirror frame green apple and went over the detail with Valspars Antiquing Glaze.



 B-E-A-utiful!

And now in her place in the guest bedroom:
{I can never seem to get the lighting right for pictures in the guest bedroom.}



There you have it - two more projects done in the guest bedroom.






UP NEXT:
the ugly exterior door.
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

So answer me this:
How do you feel about that old saying "it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission"?



Linking up with:


2 comments:

  1. Okay, lovin' the green apple mirror...and what you did with that nightstand...fantastic! You are quite the DIY-er!!!

    Hmmm...well, I will answer this way. The Catholic Church says NO to IVF. So...I did it anyway...and then went to confession...which I avoided for years b/c of the guilt. I've always felt that Mary was a gift from God...through the miracle of modern medicine, but I understand the Church's position on "Respect for Life" issues. So...I do ask for forgiveness rather than permission...

    ...hmm

    Blessings,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already realizing I need to give that paintable wallpaper a try...what an amazing texture it added to the nightstand! (Loved seeing all Justin's books. There's just something hunky about a guy who reads).
    Jody, that mirror is one of those amazing pieces you never let go. The glazed green is a perfect choice---couldn't have chosen a better color! I'd love to see a panned back shot of it in the room to give a better idea of where it's placed. Way to go, sister!

    ReplyDelete