background

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

An Ode to Mason Jars

If you were to open the glasses cabinet in our kitchen, this is what you would find:

A total smorgasbord of mugs, glasses, and sippy cups.
{This just in: Did you know that 'smorgasbord' is spelled without an 'h'? I've been saying it 'shh-morgasbord' all my life. Sheesh.}

Anyway, as I was saying, the cabinet is overloaded with mugs, glasses and sippy cups, very few of which match. This is a fact that doesn't bother me much (or Justin at all) until I go to set the table for a dinner party and remember that four matching glasses are all I can scrounge up - after that I have to resort to a different style of glass or a different size.

I know, I know, this probably isn't as big a deal to you as it is to Jody the Perfectionist.
I can't help it; I was born this way.

Each time I run into this 'setting a beautiful table with mismatched glasses' dilemma I tell myself I need to just go pick out a matching twenty pack of glasses at Walmart. Problem solved, right? Except the last time I was at Walmart and remembered to browse the glasses aisle I could not for the life of me find a single style I liked.

Then on my birthday weekend I stumbed across these at a yard sale for just twenty-five cents each:

How cute is that tiny mason jar mug?!
Here is a better size comparison for you:
{I just love using eggs for my size comparison photos.}

Kendry uses both of the small mugs and loves them, referring to them as his 'big boy cups'. Usually a proponent for the two-hands approach when teaching toddlers how to drink out of a normal cup, I am quite impressed with how well Kendry does holding the tiny handle with just one hand. He has had very few spills.

And the hubs, who tends to voice his yeah/nay opinions only after I buy something supercool for our home, likes the glasses too. His did point out, however, that these mugs do not stack very well.

Sure enough.

Oh well, stacking ability is overrated anyway.

It appears that completing my mason jar mug collection may take a little time though since these babies don't sell for very cheap on ebay right now. They are a bit of a trend, particularly for wedding receptions. And shipping the mugs properly costs even more.

So if you see any of these cute mugs at yard sales or thrift stores feel free to snatch them up for me and I will pay you back. I'm not particular about the size or brand (Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest, etc.); in fact, I like the idea of having a little variety.
Just not the crazy variety I currently have going on in my cabinet.

But with yard sale season quickly coming to a close you are running out of time,
so hop to it, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment