background

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chicks Dig Scars

Let me take a minute to point out how very thankful we are to have made it two years and three months without a single unscheduled visit to the pediatrician, ER or urgent care.
No emergenices.
No unexplained, crazy high fevers.
No swallowed staples. (We love you, Paxton!) 

But as parents of a very active toddler we knew this streak had to end some day.

And today was that day.

Around 4pm we were notified by Kendry's daycare that he had fallen and hit his head.
They thought he might need stitches.

I went to pick him up, all the way there pondering if I would be able to tell right off if this injury simply needed a good bandage or if it indeed warranted a doctor's visit.

When I arrived to get Kendry he was sitting happily with a rag pressed to his forehead.
He seemed just fine.
And then they pulled the rag away to show me the damage.
The gash.
Right smack in the middle of my beautiful baby's forehead.
{gulp!}

We carefully wrapped Kendry's head in loose gauze and off to urgent care we went, picking up Daddy on the way.

Upon our arrival at urgent care the intake nurse asked the reason for our visit. 
I carefully removed Kendry's gauze bandanna to show her this:


 Would you believe I just happened to have the camera in the car with me today?
Crazy how that works.

While I knew for sure that this gash should get some glue or tape to help it heal, I really didn't think it would require stitches.
But it did.
Five of them to be exact.

And since they knew Kendry couldn't sit still for the process they had to do this:
 He was NOT a happy camper.
However, once they got the gash numbed up he did amazingly well.

While the ARNP was numbing up the area (and Kendry was bawling), she looked up at us and said "I think we have skull here."
{double gulp!}
It was around that point that Justin needed to take a few deep breaths and sit down in the nearest chair.

Five decently quick stitches later we were ready to go:

We had to pick up some antibiotics for him on the way home, and followed that up with a stop at McDonalds for a well-deserved treat and playtime.

Kendry was such a trooper.

As for me, if I go another 50 years without seeing my child tied down and saying "Mommy, I'm ready to go home" with tears rolling down his cheeks, that would still be too soon.

Last but not least,
we cannot say enough good things about the staff at Tri-State Hospital Urgent Care.
They took care of us immediately and were amazing with Kendry through the entire ordeal.
Thank you so much, ladies!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds terrible! Poor little guy! Those head wounds bleed like the dickens~ it's probably a good thing you weren't there when it happened. Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy! And poor Mommy and Daddy! I know how scary it is to get a call from daycare saying your baby fell and hit their head. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, poor thing- that little straight jacket looks like NO fun! What a trooper though! It's so hard to see you baby hurting- praying for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing worse than seeing your baby in pain and not being able to do anything. I worry about how I react in these situations because I usually shed more tears than they do! Glad everyone is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete