For the first two years of Kendry's life his bedroom also served as our office area, with a large desk taking up an entire wall of the bedroom. A beautiful and very functional desk, to be sure. We purchased it from Fred Meyer when we were just newlyweds and it has worked great for us. But a large desk isn't all that convenient in the bedroom of a busy toddler who is ever accumulating toys. Alas, our old Dell laptop was not wi-fi compatible so that wall of Kendry's bedroom was about the only place to keep the modem, computer and Vonage hookup. We live in an old house with weird wiring - thats as far as I'm going to dive into that subject.
As you can imagine, the very day that our vintage Dell laptop went bezerk last April I seized the opportunity to finally bring about some change and moved the desk down to the basement. And the rest, as they say, is history: we bought a new computer that is indeed wi-fi compatible and Kendry gained some quality square footage in his bedroom for storing more toys. Suddenly we were those people, toting our laptop to wherever we went in the house - the dining room table at breakfast, the living room couch while watching TV, the kitchen counter while following a new recipe found online, the side of the bathtub while sitting on the toilet...
Ha! Just kidding. Just checking to see if you're still reading this. And really, a laptop in the bathroom? That just invites disaster, as in me forgetting I now have a webcam and accidentally dialing up my mother-in-law on Skype...
...okay, moving on...
This nomadic laptop problem didn't sit too well with my 'gotta have a place for everything' attitude. Not having an official desk space for the computer to reside was driving me crazy!
Fortunately last winter, while I was already anticipating clearing that huge desk out of Kendry's room, I came across a simple desk and chair at Goodwill. I paid $20 for the pair.
A good sanding of the top of the desk revealed beautiful wood just begging for a dark stain.
You get where this is going.
I refinished the desk in Sherwin Williams Jubilee, and the adorable chair was painted Rustoleum Heirloom White.
Before the desk and chair reveal, however, I will allow you to see the area that I am sorta tackling next in our house. We simply refer to it as the laundry area. It stems off the main area of our home, with the door on the right leading to our full bath and the door at the rear leading to our back yard.
Please disregard the ghetto a/c unit sticking in through the back of our house, especially since we had central air installed nearly two years ago and haven't used this a/c unit since. For now we'll simply pretend its holding up our back wall until we can get a window installed in its place.
Here is the spot I have designated for our new office and command center:
BEFORE
AFTER
I kept the original hardware, only I spraypainted it oil-rubbed bronze.
I also lined the drawers.
And here is my little farmhouse office chair.
NEXT UP:
The command center wall above the desk
and a modified table taken from an Ana White plan.
Linking up at:
The desk turned out beautifully! Very classy. Thanks for your kind comment on my green table & chairs!
ReplyDeleteWow what a big transformation! Where did you get that liner paper? I love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a follower of your blog now. Thanks for the inspiration!