background

Monday, July 25, 2011

Adventures in Chalk Paint, Chapter 1

In case you didn't see my declaration on Facebook last week, my wonderful family bought me two cans of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and one can of Annie Sloan wax for my birthday - and with this gift the knowledge that Artworks Spokane (a mere 2 hours from Clarkston) stocks/sells Annie Sloan Chalk Paint! Yeah, baby!

My first two colors: Louis Blue and Cream.

I tried Cream on a quick project this weekend:

yard sale framed photo for $4
(you should know that I'm a horrible haggler)

What is that they say about imitation being the most sincere form of flattery?
I saw this done over at Thrifty and Chic not long ago and was dying to give it a try for myself.
Hers:

Mine:

I did just one coat of Cream chalk paint. After it dried (in no time at all, mind you) I distressed it lightly with find grit sandpaper and then gave it one coat of spray-on poly. I didn't use my AS wax because I want to do it right with a wax brush, which I still need to purchase.

I found the beautiful yellow and white floral fabric in my stash and cut it to fit the glass. I sprayed the underside of the glass with spray adhesive and attached the fabric to the glass. Then I re-attached the original backing of the frame to its underside to hold the glass in place.

Finally, I found the cool vintage hardware at my Habitat store for cheap. I drilled holes in each side of the frame and attached the hardware.

My beautiful new tray:


Cost breakdown:
Paint: free (gift)
Fabric: already had
Frame: $4
Hardware:  $3
TOTAL: $7

I need to get me some more chalk paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment