background

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Design ADD and a Squirrel!

I have admitted to you that I suffer from a mild case of obsessive-compulsive disorder.
For instance, it drives me crazy when my bathroom towels aren't aligned on the towel rack.
Think creepy husband in Sleeping With the Enemy,
except I re-align the towels on my own instead of forcing Justin to march back into the bathroom to hang his towel correctly, with me watching over his shoulder in stern disapproval.

At its worst, I have actually gone to bed, lights out and everything, and then thought, "Did I hang those trousers correctly so they won't wrinkle? I don't think I did. Perhaps I should get up and make sure."
And I do just that.

I'm not kidding. These are just a few of the crazy urges I encounter with this disorder.

{Fortunately, God has shown me over the last 6 months that I do not have to be controlled by these urges. When I let them take control I am losing my peace. I get grumpy, I take it out on my family, and I end up frustrated with myself. No more. Now when I find myself feeling a little OCD crazy I just pray for peace and suddenly I am letting go of the urge, whatever it may be. God is slowly teaching me to relax and its great!}

And then there is the other side of the coin: ADD.

In my (anti-OCD) relaxation mode I start thinking of all the fun projects I can work on.
FYI: projects = fun therapy for me.
Just me and my craft(s), it is positively heavenly!
But deciding on just one to work on and/or complete?
Now that is a challenge.

I spray paint one piece and while its drying I think, "I should do something to kill time while it dries." So I pick up another piece and start working on that.

Before I know it I have projects everywhere, halfway painted, partially completed.
See?
Yes, this is my craft/guest room I am supposed to be finishing up.
I have been trying to clean up this mess for a few weeks now, but it seems that each time I head back there I remember or find a craft I would rather spend my time on.


{Misdirection}
Its the story of my life these days.


Have you seen the movie "Up"?

That is totally me.

I think I may have stipulated in my original Blogolution post that I would be tackling my house room by room. (Obviously this plan catered to my OCD tendencies.) And somehow I thought this would help me be more efficient. But come on, the same room until its done?
Booorrrinnng!
Plus, as I've pointed out, I am easily distracted.
So, I'm letting go of the OCD and giving in to the ADD.

I took a step back from the project at-hand to regroup on my ideas,
and in doing so I found another area of my house that I was desperate to tackle...

...this nook in my kitchen:

I have no idea what the original builders were doing with this space, but I don't like it. And since my dream kitchen remodel is still years away, we are making the best of it.

Initially we had our wine rack in this spot. It looked pretty and was convenient – that is, until we had a toddler running around the house. So we moved the wine rack out of the path of destruction and replaced it with this rinky-dink console table I got at an estate sale for $5.
It works, but it has always been just a temporary solution.

What do I really want?
A space for Kendry to sit at a kiddo-size table to eat his snacks, color, or play with play-dough.
All along I have known this would be the perfect nook to put said kiddo table.

I also want some fresh paint on that wall, and maybe even a little chalkboard for Kendry.

Am I going to shell out $100 for a good quality, wooden kid-size table and chairs?
No way, Jose!
Its all about using what you have around these parts.
And what I have is a rinky-dink console table, wood, paint and power tools.


I can't wait to show you what I've come up with!

Here's hoping another squirrel doesn't come along before I can finish this project.

1 comment:

  1. Jody, you don't know what it did to my heart to see your crazy lived-and-created-in guest room! Oh my, I try desperately to keep myself contained to our "guest" room and my paint room downstairs, but I must admit I'm overflowing into the office area the last couple weeks. Maybe if we stopped blogging we'd finish the ideas we had before discovering new ones......

    ....ummmm, like THAT'S gonna happen:-)

    Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete