...four months later.
Would I choose to paint the house again by ourselves? (We will likely have to in a few short years.) Probably not. But then, I was never an advocate for painting it ourselves anyway. Yes, it is the cheaper option by far. But let's be honest here: Justin and I both work full time and we have a very busy toddler to keep up with. I would just as soon pay someone else the extra money to knock out the painting in a few days, while I relax in my back yard with a lemonade, admiring their hard work.
On the other hand, Justin is convinced that, all delays considered, he would still paint it himself before hiring an outside party to do it for us.
Suddenly vinyl siding is sounding pretty good, don't you think?
As owners of a fixer-upper, we are constantly learning the ins and outs of home improvement projects. Here are just a few of the lessons learned with this project:
DO get the prep work done prior to painting day. It will take you longer than planned.
DO buy the bulk of your paint the same day you plan to start painting (if you can), because trying to shake/mix a 5 gallon bucket of paint by yourself, after the paint has settled for a few weeks, is an abs and arms workout of hideous proportions.
DO expect your paint job to get smudged or dirty as soon as you have it completed (Murphy's Law), and be ready to let it go. A praying mantis pooped on the white trim of our front door not two days after I finished painting it. (Up until then it never occurred to me that bugs actually poop.)
And you wonder why it took us four months to complete this project?
We love how it turned out!
It looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteLooks great- good job!
ReplyDeleteLooks good Jo...what a relief!
ReplyDelete