background

Monday, October 25, 2010

Fabulous Furnishings and Fall Film Festival

In my efforts to be frugal over the last few years I have discovered a new passion of decorating with what I already have - or decorating with what other people are getting rid of for cheap. Specifically, I enjoy finding good quality pieces of furniture that just need some TLC. And by refinishing them myself they become unique additions to our home.

My most recent project was an old desk given to me so generously by my in-laws. I was in dire need of a simple desk to place in my spare room (where I keep all my crafting supplies), but I could not justify spending the money on a brand new desk. Fortunately, my in-laws were doing some re-arranging and decided to get rid of this piece in the process.

Here is the desk before its facelift. The top was in such poor shape that my hubby removed it and cut a new one for me.



After a lot of sanding and attaching the new top, we moved it inside for painting.




Finally, the finished product:




Yes, I am aware that it looks totally girly in this color, but that is exactly what I was going for - and it fits in with my spare room decor. This will serve as my sewing, crafting and scrapbooking space, so I wanted the desk to be an inspiring piece. I plan to spend a great deal of time here over the next two months in anticipation for the holiday season.

Which leads me to the second part of this post: my fall film festival. When I am crafting I love to have pretty music or a fun movie on in the background. Since I have quite a few projects ahead of me I made a list of some of my favorite movies to keep me company. Most of them have a fall or holiday theme.

My picks:
1. One True Thing (a great mother/daughter movie)
2. When Harry Met Sally
3. You've Got Mail
4. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
5. Little Women

6. Stepmom


Can you think of any others I should add to my list?

4 comments:

  1. Umm... Shag of course. :) J/k... never heard of One True Thing - I may need to check that one out.

    Amanda

    Oh and PS - the desk looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desk is soooooo cute! What a transformation and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...this came out great. I love the pink you have chosen....

    Have a great weekend....

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was BLOWN away by your transformation! I cant even believe how awesome! OMJ. That means Oh My Jealous. Which is totally how I am feeing right now.

    Thanks for linking up!

    Love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete