background

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend Makeover


I didn’t want to commit to a large project this weekend, even though I would have the extra day to accomplish it. Rather, I wanted to relax a bit and savor the long weekend at home with my boys. As it turns out, June is going to be rather busy for us, so I will take all the rest I can get.

Alas, I can never stay idle for long.

My mom had this picnic basket for ages and delivered it to me a year ago when she decided it needed to stop taking up space in her garage and finally go to someone who would get some use out of it.

IMG_9126


See that writing across the top? That’s my maiden name; I used to be a Binder.

IMG_9127


My mom marks just about everything this way. It used to irk me a bit as a child. Now that I’m a mother I understand it completely. Justin already hassles me for how often I mark Kendry’s initials on his things – clothing, baseball gloves, basketballs, you name it.

Ha! Get it? You NAME it?

Okay, sorry. I have a weird sense of humor.

Back to the basket. My mom gave me full permission to makeover the lid of the basket since I am no longer a Binder.

On Saturday morning, while I enjoyed an ever-so-brief moment of having the house to myself (for all that fuss about his first baseball game, Kendry only lasted until the 4th inning before he asked to go home), I threw a coat of primer across the ‘Binder’.

And then another coat.

I’ll be darned if that basket wasn’t determined to stay a Binder.

IMG_9134


Project dead end.

At this point I called up my mother to laugh at my dilemma…and to ask her what on earth she used to write on the basket. She swears it was just a red Sharpie but I have my doubts.

I really did not want to trek all the way across town to Home Depot just to find a stronger primer that may or may not work, nor did I want to spend much money on this project. It was, after all, supposed to be a low key project for my relaxing weekend.

So I moved on to Plan B: hitting up Joann’s (which is much closer) for some crafty paper and digging out my Mod Podge.

A few hours later I had this:

IMG_9135

IMG_9138



Before and After:

PicMonkey Collage


Justin won't be caught dead with this picnic basket in his hand, but I think its adorable.

And I’m thinking a Memorial Day picnic is in order.


But for now I’m going to call it a night and go ponder the symbolism of this old picnic basket that refused to give up a part of its Binder history.



Sharing here:
 shabby creek cottage

1 comment: