background

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

This Wasn't In the Brochure



Life is a daring adventure, or nothing.

~Helen Keller~


As previously mentioned, I attended a women's retreat about an hour away this last weekend. There was a beautiful hotel, a toasty hot tub, a nice exercise room, an introductory Zumba class, a late night bunco game, wonderful worship, a group of amazing women, and a message from that Lord so fitting I swear it was fashioned just for me.

Suffice to say, with fresh emotions from the anniversary of our failed IVF cycle last week I was a tad more fragile than I realized. As soon as the speaker, Jan Brauer, introduced her topic, This Wasn't in the Brochure, I knew without a doubt God's perfect timing was behind this entire weekend. Jan dove right into a study of Jonah and compared that with the surprises in our own lives - both the good and the bad. She had me in tears three different times during the Friday message alone.


If you're not familiar with the story of Jonah, here's a quick recap: Jonah was a prophet. God asked Jonah to go to the city of Ninevah to inform the citizens of their wicked ways and tell them to repent. Jonah basically said 'Nope' and ran the other direction...literally. He boarded a ship on the Mediterranean; once it set sail the ship got caught in a terrible storm. Jonah finally told the panicky crew to throw him overboard and the storm would subside. Jonah knew that God had brought the storm because of his disobedience. Sure enough, they threw him over and the storm ceased. But Jonah didn't die in the sea; rather, God sent a whale to swallow him. Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days - where he obviously had a lot of time to lament over his actions - and then the whale spit him up onto dry land. God asked Jonah once again to go to Ninevah and this time Jonah obeyed. Much to Jonah's surprise, the wicked city of Ninevah heeded Jonah's warning and repented.

Thats usually where the story stops. Happy ending, right? Jonah obeyed, Ninevah repents, all is well. Except there is more. After Ninevah repents God decides to spare the city and, believe it or not, Jonah gets mad at God. He tells God: "You see? This is exactly why I didn't want to come preach to Ninevah, God. I knew you would have compassion on them." Then Jonah marches himself outside the city and plops down to pout. God causes a vine to grow and shade Jonah at his pouting site and Jonah appreciates it. He is in the desert, after all. But overnight God sends a worm to eat the vine and it withers and dies. Then the scorching sun and a horrible wind beat on Jonah; without the vine he is no longer protected from the elements. God asks him, "Are you angry about the vine?" Jonah tells him he is and then says, "I am so angry it would be better for me to just die."  A little overdramatic, don't you think?  God then points out to Jonah that he is upset over a vine that grew and died overnight. How then can Jonah criticize God for having compassion for the people of Ninevah?



I could go on and on about what God revealed to me through Jan's message this weekend, but let me see if I can simplify it a bit and capture my main takeaways for you:

1. We will all be hit with surprises. Life is never going to be like the Disneyland brochure: smiling faces, well-behaved children, the perfect figured woman, rides that keep you laughing and don't frighten you.

2. A pattern of peaks and valleys throughout your life is normal.

3. Perspective matters. When you're in the dark belly of the whale you can't see where God is taking you. Jonah probably thought he was still in the middle of the ocean and then -whop!- he is spit up unto dry land.
 
4. At some point you have to accept what has happened in your life - say "it is what it is" and trust God to take you through it.

5. Keep your momentum - keep praising, singing and thanking Him as you trust His direction in your life.

6. Learn from Jonah. He was so busy pouting he completely missed the amazing compassion God had for the people of Ninevah. Have you ever stopped to consider what miracles you may have missed while you were busy feeling sorry for yourself?  Ouch! This realization hit me hard. Sometimes my flesh tells me I have a right to sulk about our infertility. Its not fair. {Visualize me stomping my foot, if you will; I may be 31 but I still pout on occasion.But God is always working. If I'm too busy hanging my head in defeat I might miss what He wants me to see or, better yet, what He wants to include me in.



I leave you with this quote:

"We can't have adventure, miracles, faith and a deep knowledge of Jesus while holding on to comfort, security, control and success."  

~"Just Courage" by Haugen~


3 comments:

  1. Love! What an inspirational, refreshing retreat for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I did a bible study on Jonah recently and really enjoyed it. Lots to learn from him!

    ReplyDelete