background

Monday, March 5, 2012

Love and Basketball...and Baseball



Justin and I both grew up competing in various sports.

Even before Kendry was born we were fantasizing about attending his future sporting events.

No pressure, kiddo.
No pressure.


We've been advised by older and wiser parents to be prepared, just in case our kiddo doesn't grow up to be as sports-minded as we are.

I realize Kendry is only two and his likes/dislikes could flip flip tomorrow, but thus far he appears to have inherited our love of sports - basketball in particular.


Our temps neared 60 degrees yesterday so Kendy and I took a walk to the playground, him toting his basketball along.

That kiddo can spot a basketball hoop from a mile away,
and he knows the playground has lots of them.


We started out on the elementary school playground where the hoops are lower.



But that wasn't good enough.

Short rims are for amateurs.

Kendry didn't even glance at the playground equipment or the swings. Nooo, sir. It was basketball or nothing.

He promptly set off for the middle school hoops.





"Hmmm...this is a tad higher than I remember..."





"Enough with the camera, Mom. There are big kids watching."








Our future baller:




This photo makes my heart melt.
There was no chance of him making it in, but he sure tried his best.



After Kendry wore himself out at the middle school hoops, I told him it was time to walk home. He only agreed to start walking once I assured him we would set his own Little Tikes basketball rim higher when we got home.

And we did.



Last night I started to ponder whether a baseball themed 3rd birthday party is the right way to go, or if I should consider switching to a basketball party instead.

I needn't have worried.


This morning Kendry was running around the house with his baseball helmet on, his glove on one hand and his bat in the other, asking me to pitch the ball to him.

After throwing a few stellar pitches (if I do say so myself), I asked Kendry to please go put on his 'basketball' shoes so we could leave for daycare.

{NOTE: Since Kendry has outgrown his old 'running' shoes, we have taken to calling his new shoes his 'basketball' shoes to make them sound cooler. He didn't want to wear them until we gave them a new name. The things you do to appease a toddler.}


So I asked him to put his 'basketball' shoes on.


KENDRY: "Mooooom."

{Insert eye-roll here; he hasn't done it yet but I know its not far off.}

"I'm not a basketball player, I'm a baseball player!"


ME: "Oh, of course you are. Well, what shoes do baseball players wear then?"


KENDRY: "White shoes."


ME: "Great! Go put on your white shoes then, baseball player."



His 'basketball' shoes are white.

Mommy wins again!



2 comments:

  1. This dear sister, is the most touching post. Oh my, the picture of him under that hoop! All the photos are breathtaking. He's so fortunate you're his mommy.

    ReplyDelete