background

Monday, May 30, 2011

Blogolution Update: Kiddo's Kitchen Nook

You have no idea how excited I am to show you this reveal!

Here is the before picture of that weird little nook in my kitchen:

Cute, but completely useless.

Not anymore!


First I gave the wall a coat of Gliddon's Autumn Haze. The paint in our kitchen was still from the previous owners so we were in need of something new.
Then I measured and marked the size of rectangle I wanted for the framed chalkboard and did two coats of chalkboard paint inside the lines. 
(In case you are wondering, applying black paint over your new pretty kitchen paint feels unbelievably counter-productive.)

The hubs gave me a crash course on his table saw and I tried my hand at cutting the trim for the frame. Aside from getting a speck of sawdust stuck in my eye for the entire afternoon, I'm pretty proud of how I did on my first try. Just don't peer at the lower right angle of the frame too closely.
A right angle she is not.

You should know that I was super giddy just getting the chalkboard finished. I suddenly found myself actually loving something in my kitchen. Who knew that was possible?  Not me.

But I didn't stop there.

Here is the console table that was previously occupying this nook.

Does the new table look familiar?

Using my new table saw skills, I took about 8 inches off each leg of the console table, and then removed the lower shelf and supports. After priming with Kilz, I gave the table a few coats of Rustoleum Heirloom White. I finished off with a clear protective coat and felt pads on the feet.

For the tabletop itself, Justin and I browsed the lumber at Home Depot while I tried to explain to him what I had in mind.

Note: when your hubby can't see your vision, draw a picture!

Other than referring to Ana White's site for some standard kiddo table measurements, I didn't have any formal plans to follow so I really wasn't sure what I wanted to use. In the end I decided that 1x6's would give me the look I wanted. As luck would have it, when we finally went to get the lumber (family joy ride in the 1978 Chevy anyone?) I stopped by the cut bin and found exactly what I needed at a fraction of the price. Yeah, baby!

Back to the table saw!

I cut my 1x6's (actually more like 1x5.5's) into 30" lengths, gave them a good sanding and stained them a dark walnut. Then, since this is a kiddo table and I don't want to cringe every time the table is exposed to spilled milk, crayons or play-dough, I followed the advice of some fellow furniture DIYers and used a paste wax to protect the beautiful walnut finish.

Finally, I laid my wood slats across the old table top, using wood glue for reinforcement, and secured them with screws through the underside.

Last but not least, did you not totally ooh and ahh over my adorable bucket stool? I found this stool at my local Habitat store for $5 and I'm pretty sure I fall more in love each time I see it.
Before:
After:
And, it offers storage!

 I painted the metal rings and the legs, and cut a new seat after discovering that green astroturf does not detach from plywood willingly.

Since I so badly wanted to use this stool with the kiddo table, and the stool measured a smidge taller than most standard kiddo chairs/stools, I went ahead and made the table an inch higher than I had intended. This may pose a problem later down the road when I try to find another seat or two to go with the table, but until then I think they look adorable together. 

Then add the cutest kiddo in the world and its heaven in my kitchen!


I'm linking up to:







The Lettered Cottage
Transformation Thursday



6 comments:

  1. Toooooo cute!!!
    What a very creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing job!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and your incredibly kind words! Definitely only takes one & I'm glad our story gave you hope. Thinking of you guys and sending positive thoughts your way for next week ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, where can I get a stool like that?? What an amazing idea to paint the diamonds on top....it looks like it was designed like that! Hmmmm, I guess it was :-) You did SUCH a great job, and I love how the table turned out. The wood tone on those slats look very rustic. Kendry is lucky to have such a creative mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool ideas! I love that you made a table the perfect size for your little guy. And that stool is so neat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfect little space for meals but also for art projects or schoolwork (when that day comes) while you're cooking. and how awesome is the storage in that little seat!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This little nook is so cute! I'm your newest follower, found you through Vintage Revivals. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete