background

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Kiddo's New Ride

I love this time of year, when I can finally wean myself off my gym membership a bit and start taking my workouts outdoors - biking, hiking, walking, rollerblading, or running in a non-stationary mode. 
You won't catch me running on a treadmill anytime between April and October; its simply too nice to not be running outdoors. And while I enjoy having some time to myself during my workouts, I also like having the option of taking Kendry with me when I so choose.

For running and walking I tote the kiddo along in our BOB jogging stroller,
although 'tote' might be the wrong word to describe pushing an extra 40 pounds ahead of you during your workout.

I have yet to give the BOB a try while on my rollerblades. I know the instruction manual warns against it; however, my own sisters have used their jogging strollers while rollerblading so I know it can, in fact, be done. 
The only problem is that every time I entertain the idea of trying it out I get a visual of me tripping over my rollerblades on the levy bike path, losing hold of the BOB (with Kendry in it), and watching it bounce treacherously down the boulders and into the Snake River. Not such a farfetched visual if you have ever heard of my Great Rollerblading Debacle of 1999 on the WSU campus.
Long story short: one huge hill = disaster for a beginner rollerblader.
As coordinated as I may appear, I have my disastrous moments.
So until my rollerblading skills reach roller-derby potential, I think it best for Kendry to not be included in  my rollerblading workouts.

For hiking we take the Kelty.

And biking? Justin and I have one bike between the two of us.
Justin purchased this bike for himself several years ago while we were still dating. I don't think he has been on it since he tried to bike to work back in 2006 - uphill in 80 degree weather. Since that day I have assumed ownership of said bike by default. 
But its not very fun to bike alone, so I have been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a bike trailer so my favorite little workout partner can join me. As it just so happens, my friend Nancy was looking to sell her bike trailer just before Mother's Day, so I called dibs on it and told Justin I wanted it as my Mother's Day gift.
Wonderful husband that he is, he was happy to oblige.

On Mother's Day I took Kendry for his first spin in his new ride.

As you can see, he has a bit to learn yet on the proper way to wear a bike helmet.

To all you fellow members of the Nintendo generation: doesn't Kendry look like Toadstool in that helmet?



We made it one mile before Kendry was fussing to get out. I told myself he was just over tired from his birthday weekend and the fussing was not an early indication of an aversion to bike rides.
I'll let you know if I'm right after we venture out on our next ride.

Here's to getting outdoors this summer!

A big thank you to Nancy and my wonderful hubby for such a great Mother's Day gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment