background

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blogolution: Addition Update



This addition has been quite the undertaking. May I advise you to never start a major home improvement project mere weeks before having twins?

Lesson learned on our part.

But seriously, its been fun seeing it come together, and dreaming of all the use it will get once its completed. We've still got a little ways to go but we'll get there.

Let's recall what it looked like in early spring, shall we?

Just your average carport...with a spectacularly cute orange door, if I do say so myself. 



Did you notice that this carport wasn't even big enough to hold an actual car? Well, except maybe a smart car. (Am I the only one who giggles at the sight of one of these on the road? Green or not, I simply cannot take that car seriously.)



What was I talking about?

Oh right.

Carport.

Addition.






Here is Justin doing more demo after the outside frame was completed:




Now here we are today - drywalled, textured and painted, with the electrical and new fan installed.











The mud room bench will go under this window.




My washer and dryer will go here, with some simple shelving above.


UP NEXT:

 1. Flooring - a combo of carpet and hard floors, if we can ever decide which swatches we like best. There will be hard flooring under the washer/dryer and by the exterior door and mud room bench, with carpet everywhere else, including all the stairs.

2. Painting the concrete walls down to the basement. Although Justin wasn't too keen on me painting the concrete floor (How cool are these ideas?), he has agreed to let me do something creative on the concrete walls. Fun fun!
 
3. Trim work. Augh.

4. Paint the exterior of the addition. We have the paint; now we just need a cool-weathered weekend to accomplish it. Oh, and probably a babysitter too. Any volunteers?

5. Name the darn thing! Seriously, we cannot think of what to call this room. The carport? The utility room? The entry? The laundry room? The mud room? We're open to suggestions.


Before I leave you to name our addition, allow me to share this quick highlight. If you've ever seen the remainder of our house you know it lacks serious storage space - no linen closets, no coat closets, nothin'. More often than not our vacuum gets stored in whichever room it last cleaned. Sad, I know. 

Last Monday I was practically giddy as I called Justin at work to share a major lightbulb moment. It had just occurred to me that I no longer have to store the vacuum upstairs in plain sight because we now have an actual attached basement where things are easy to store and access. Yippee!


So maybe Justin wasn't as thrilled as I was, and maybe the vacuum still hasn't made its way to the basement for proper storage, but I'm giddy just the same.


I leave you with one of my favorite quotes:
"I may be in my own little world, but they know me here."









2 comments:

  1. It's coming along! We had a room in my parents' home which we simply called the "Funny Room", because it was just that--funny. Not really a rec room, not really a mud room, just "funny".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this update; been wondering how it's going :-) Of course, in a couple more weeks I'll simply see for myself!

    ReplyDelete