I can't remember a time where I couldn't swim.
For the first six years of my life we lived on a lake.
Once we moved to Alaska my mom enrolled us in swim lessons; we were committed every Saturday morning for the next 6 years.
Or at least it felt that way.
Let's just say that my attitude toward taking lesson after lesson was not the greatest. (Sorry, Mom!)
In hindsight, I cannot thank my mother enough. Those lessons upon lessons taught me every swim stroke, how to tread water for extended periods of time, and how to safely rescue/respond to a drowning victim.
What they could never teach me was how to effectively back float. To this day I firmly believe that Binders simply sink. Thats just all there is to it.
You may recall that Kendry did his first parent and tot swim course a year and a half ago. At just under two years of age he didn't learn much. The class was more about him getting comfortable with the water.
2011
This July we were blessed with the opportunity to do in-home swim lessons with an experienced teacher just around the corner from our home.
It was an intensive two week course, with three lessons one week and four lessons the next. (Now you know why I've been AWOL on the blog lately.) At just three and four years of age, the boys in the class did incredibly well.
At the start of the two weeks Kendry would hardly let go of me in the water, clinging to me like a drowning cat. By the end he was confidently walking around in the pool (where he can touch bottom) and plunging himself under the water over and over.
I will share this video with you if you will overlook the moment my son says 'no' to the teacher's instructions. Augh!
Mom to mom, what our pool time this summer has taught me is that its important to get in the water regularly so your kiddo's confidence keeps growing. Even once the weather cools I plan to take Kendry to our local pool at least once every two weeks so he can keep practicing.
It feels so weird mentioning cooler weather during a 100+ degree heat week.
Anyone up for a swim?
We did swim lessons last year with Ella when she was just 6 months; and again this year. She loves it!
ReplyDelete