background

Sunday, May 19, 2013

And Then There Were Five... {Birth Story}



I'm not gonna lie to you - this labor story might make you roll your eyes.

Thats how fast and "easy" it was - fast and "easy" as in it was less than three hours from start to finish.

Just know that if I sound like I'm bragging about my labor story, in all likelihood I probably am. After having Kendry four years ago I've come to be envious of those "fast and easy" labor stories because his was anything but. Oh, I know his labor didn't rank up there with the real doozies (i.e. 48 hours of labor followed by c-section or the like); but with the exception of the epidural, all day contractions and two hours to push out a 10+ lb baby do not an "easy" labor make.

This time around was a completely different story.

But first, a photo of me at 34 weeks, just two days before I went into labor.




Now allow me to walk you through the timeline.

Friday, May 10, 2013 @ 3:00 p.m.
I was enjoying Day 3 of my maternity leave and taking it easy because I'd been feeling a little off most of the day. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law arrived with my niece and Kendry in tow and we all headed outside to the back patio to enjoy the sunshine.

4:30 p.m.
I got too hot and uncomfortable outside and moved inside to the couch to put my feet up.

5:00 p.m.
I noticed my usual sporadic contractions were actually coming continually 5-6 minutes apart, although they still weren't painful. I tracked them for 30 minutes before admitting to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law that Justin and I may have to head to the hospital for some monitoring.

5:45 p.m.
I finally concede to calling my doctor about the contractions. Not two minutes after struggling to get myself off the couch and find the phone, my water breaks.


{CUE HUSBAND PANIC MODE!}

6:00 p.m.
We kissed Kendry goodbye, leaving him in the care of my sister-in-law, and departed for the hospital. Gritman Medical Center is about 35 minutes from our house. Needless to say, hubs put the peddle to the metal. Me? I closed my eyes and tried to keep my muscles relaxed, which wasn't too difficult since the contractions were still 5-6 minutes apart and didn't hurt yet. And with my eyes closed I couldn't see just how fast Justin was driving.

6:40 p.m. (ish)
We pulled up to the hospital, where they were expecting us. A quick wheelchair ride and I was checking into my room, getting hooked up to monitors. At this point I was still chatting with the nurses between contractions. After getting heart monitors for both boys the head nurse examined me and surprisingly announced that she thought I was already fully dilated.

Say what?!

I should note that Justin wasn't in the room at this point; he was still checking me in. Poor guy had no idea how quickly things were progressing until the doctor came in with her gown already on and they starting adjusting my bed so I could push. Thats when Justin got a little lightheaded and requested a chair. What I wouldn't give to have had this whole incident video-taped just to watch a play by play of Justin.

7:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
My room was suddenly bombarded with nurses, the anesthesiologist, the ultrasound tech and the on-call pediatrician. There were questions about the gestation of the babies, did they have the steroid shots, etc. Although it is general practice for twins to be delivered in the operating room as a precaution, we were told there wasn't time for that.

Crazy, I tell ya! And yet there I was, still chatting and making jokes with the hospital staff between contractions - just like in the movies.

7:33 p.m.
Pushed through two contractions.
Welcome to the world, Jack Steven!

7:39 p.m.
Pushed through two more contractions.
Welcome to the world, Cohen Rodger!





Both boys came out crying and breathing incredibly well. Neither had any need for oxygen during our entire five night hospital stay. Due to the unknown cause of my preterm labor, the pediatrician started the boys on an antibiotic as a precaution. After a blood culture came back with a good report on Monday, they ceased the antibiotics.

On Wednesday we were headed home.





The birth story still feels so surreal, but we are so very thankful things went as smoothly as they did.

Now the real craziness begins...







6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! It's so exciting you had such a fast labor. I'm so happy for you guys! Yes, I'm sure life just got a lot crazier and so much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So happy that all went well and was so easy:) Hope all goes well now that they are home and you have more babies than you have arms! Love to look at the pregnant pic and then your going home pic. Amazing the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those boys were ready to get out! Great story. They are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Congratulations!! After all you've been through, you deserve a quick and easy labor story! Looking forward to all your family-of-five adventures to come! Praying for you in this transition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I kept thinking through this post is: God is SO good. He's able to do exceedingly more than we ask or think! Those babies, all three of them, are a true miracle and gift from above. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! How did I miss this post! I came here thinking I hadn't heard anything from you in a while and there it was- babies! Congratulations! If it weren't for your belly you wouldn't even look pregnant in that picture! They are beautiful, hope everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete