background

Monday, October 22, 2012

A Little Organization Never Hurt Anyone



Let's not dwell on the fact that its taking me for-eh-ver to truly finish my guest room.

Instead, let's focus on the positive. Progress, however little or slow, is still progress.

And in order to really make progress on the guest room (aka my craft room) I needed to add some storage space.

I found two built-in cabinets at our Habitat store last winter. I used the first one in our basement to organize my paint and supplies.

The second one started out like this:








Now, if you recall, our guest room already holds a king size bed, not to mention a few other finished pieces like my desk, piano bench and nightstand. As much as I wanted to add storage to this room, I knew I needed the piece to blend in so it didn't crowd the room too much.

My solution?  I painted the entire shelf the same color as the walls (Fleeting Green) and finished off the bottom with white baseboard. In a sense, I tried to make it resemble a built-in again. 






Except it needed a little more Jody, so I coated the back of the shelves with a green/white floral contact paper I found at the $1 store.




The top of the built-in was unfinished when I purchased it, so I threw some natural colored wood slats on top.




I also kept some of the original hardware for added character.




Before:



After:



Everyone crafts better in an organized space.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness this is adorable, Jody! Let's see, what do I love the most: The color? Perfectly sweet! The hardware? Yes, my heart just voted hardware. The cabinet doors are amazing! And the baseboard bottom? Please don't tell me you mitered that yourself. Did you? I gotta know. So fun to see another project because you're right, slow progress is still progress! Love you.

    ReplyDelete