background

Monday, September 10, 2012

A Touch of {Functional} Vintage




I love a little vintage here and there in my decor.

I snatched up these two old suitcases at a yard sale awhile back.


I could stare at their wear and tear for hours and ponder where these suitcases have been, who they belonged to, how old they are...






 
There are some incredible decorating possibilities out there for old suitcases like this:


Pinned Image


Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image



One reason I fell in love with the idea of using these suitcases in my decor:
STORAGE SPACE!

In my opinion, you simply cannot beat a fun accent piece that doubles as storage - something our house seriously lacks.

Would it have killed the builder to throw in a linen closet or a coat closet somewhere?!

Anywhere?!

Sheesh.


Anyway, back to my suitcase.


As much as I love these pieces, I couldn't bring myself to throw a cherished item like my Christmas quilt into an old suitcase not knowing what that inner lining has been exposed to. Eww!



So I ripped it all out. Then I picked out some spare fabric, fired up my trusty hot glue gun and got to work.


Hot Glue Guns 101:
STOP all projects by 11pm or you are sure to burn yourself.

Doh!


Here is suitcase #1 with her new pretty lining:



 

Not only does she add a little character to our guest room but she also provides storage for the beautiful tree skirt I completed in December. Remember all those 'ruffles, ruffles, ruffles'?



Yeeeaah, ruffles = poofy.
Very poofy.

"Where on earth am I going to store this mass?" poofy.

But she fits well into the suitcase, and now I have peace of mind that my tree skirt is staying clean and pretty.





On a side note, do you ever have those moments where you forget about a craft/project you have finished?

Last week I went to retrieve some old drapes from my fabric stash and stumped myself for a few minutes when I couldn't find them.

Then I remembered I used them to make this tree skirt.




My beautiful shabby chic tree skirt!

I swear I'm not looking to set up my Christmas tree any time soon, but that tree skirt is really calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment