background

Thursday, October 20, 2011

What Might Have Been



We attend a great church here in the LC Valley and have been blessed with a wonderful small group as well. Last night at small group, while I was talking with two women, Kendry became very intrigued with the pregnant belly belonging to one of these women.
After a few shy glances, he worked up the courage to ask her:
"You have a belly?"

This is the first time Kendry has been around someone so visibly pregnant (her baby is due in 2 weeks) and has been old enough to actually take notice. I enjoyed explaining to him that this woman had a baby in her belly. The woman asked Kendry if he thought it was a baby boy or a baby girl. Kendry told her its a girl.

Then he pointed at the woman and exclaimed: "She is a mom!"

My heart swelled with pride.
My two year old is grasping the mother-child connection.
How did he get so big already?

The drive home was bittersweet as I considered Kendry's lesson on babies from a different perspective.

Had our February IVF cycle been successful, today my belly would be just as big as this woman's is.
My due date would have been November 10th.

It would have been my growing belly that Kendry noticed.



My flesh asks:
What would our life would be like today without the significant heartaches we have suffered this year?

Faith reminds me:
Keep your eyes on the promises ahead.

Last Sunday our pastor preached on Hebrews 11, which is often referred to as the faith chapter.
Time and time again, the verses in Hebrews 11 start with: 'By faith...'
"By faith, Noah..."
"By faith, Abraham..."
"By faith, Moses..."

At the conclusion, our pastor challenged us with this question:
What is your 'by faith' story?

Example: "By faith, Jody..."


Today this is the best I can come up with:
"By faith, Jody trusted."


I'm trying, Lord.


 "...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."
-Philippians 4:11-



5 comments:

  1. Praying that God will bless you with the desires of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful post. I often have the same "what might have been" sort of wonders. All I can do is remind myself that God is in control, and His plans are bigger than what I can imagine. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder! I've been struggling with the "what if's" lately and this certainly provided a wake up call!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful post! You are going to have a remarkable "by faith" story. It has already begun. It's so hard sometimes, but it seems like your heart is in the right place. :)

    ReplyDelete