Alas, the day has finally arrived. Today I am 30 years old.
I'm not sure quite what I expected this monumental birthday to feel like, or what the day itself would entail, but I can assure you it did not include a 5am wake up call from my son, sobbing and ready for someone to let him out of bed. Nor did it include a three mile run - although this proved to be a nice way to re-start my day after aforementioned early wake up call, and birthday or not, I have to keep up with my half-marathon training program. And my expectations certainly did not include two wonderfully stinky, dirty diapers before 8am. (Just to clarify: those were my son's dirty diapers, not mine.)
My mind has wandered a bit today, allowing me to ponder the decade that was my 20's: paths not taken, fond memories, unforeseen challenges, amazing joys, goals I have yet to reach...
I can choose to let turning 30 depress me, or I can celebrate it as another incredible milestone, a testament to all that God has done in my life, and what He has yet to do. And I choose the latter. I choose to celebrate.
Today's (30) blessings:
1. A beautiful baby boy waking up in the next room.
2. Receiving a much-anticipated Miche purse from my wonderful hubby for my birthday.
3. The ability to run... and actually getting enjoyment from it.
4. Living in a beautiful farming area where I can run past fields, horses, tractors, cows, barns, chickens, etc.
5. Being served some yummy birthday pancakes for breakfast, complete with chocolate chips that spelled out "30".
6. Watching my kiddo learn how to eat yogurt with a bowl and spoon all by himself.
7. Letting go of my clean-freak tendencies and learning to laugh when confronted with a strawberry yogurt covered toddler.
8. The invention of disposable diapers. Can you imagine my mood if I had to change those two yucky diapers this morning with cloth diapers?
9. Enjoying a grande cinnamon dolce frappucino from Starbucks on my way to work.
10. Having a great job, especially in these uncertain times.
11. The joy of hearing my son verbally recognize a Veggie Tales worship song.
12. Amazing Christian daycare providers who love and dote on my kiddo.
13. Anticipating and getting phone calls from my parents and many siblings, all wishing (and some even singing) me a happy birthday.
14. Being born into the greatest family ever!
15. Gobbling down a delicious Taco Bell crunchwrap supreme and empanada for lunch. (This birthday is calling for some serious eating.)
16. The opportunity to work with a fun, funny and caring group of people.
17. Singing along to beloved Christmas music on the radio. (Our local Christian radio is doing their Christmas in July Food Drive today.)
18. Seeing my son enjoy his Grandma, Great Uncle Erik and Nana and Grandpa this evening, and them enjoy him in return.
19. Having a Thai birthday dinner for two with my handsome hubby.
20. FINALLY getting to see a summer movie in the theater.
21. Being able to sneak lots of candy into the movie via my large purse. (Naughty, I know.)
22. Seeing my kiddo toddle around in his pj's; I think thats when he looks the cutest.
23. Having our own home to come home to at the end of the day.
24. Snuggling with my little boy and his bear blankie before laying him in his bed and kissing him goodnight.
25. Laughing with my hubby at the horrible start of a haircut he gave our kiddo last night before the clippers died for good. It seriously looks like the start of a mullet.
26. Relishing all the "Happy Birthday" wishes on my FB wall. Thank you, everyone!
27. Getting to call myself mom to the most precious boy in the world.
28. Being married to the most wonderful, sexy, caring, and funny family man ever.
29. Curling up and falling asleep beside said Mr. Wonderful every night.
30. That 30 is the new 20!
Happy 30th! Hope you had a fun b-day
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful birthday and a great way to celebrate being 30! Happy Belated birthday to you!!
ReplyDeleteAww, I'm finally getting caught up on some of the blogs and I love your list! I had a bit of a hard time with turning 30 in February, but I ended up, like you, choosing to celebrate!
ReplyDelete