Justin and I have always wanted to have our kids close in age. I have a brother who is two years older than me and a sister who is two years younger. Two years has always seemed like the perfect spacing. As the eldest child in his family, Justin has a sister who is just 16 months younger than him.
Kendry is nearly 15 months old, so 9 months from now he will be 2.
9 months from now.
Are you following me?
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us."
This quote forced me to take a good look at how I am living my life. Am I finding the joy in each and every day? Am I making as many memories as I possibly can with my son, knowing that he won't be a baby much longer? Am I being the wife and mother God would have me to be?
I have always loved the saying "God is in control", but suddenly I felt hypocritical for ever saying this to someone. Yes, God is indeed in control. So why am I wasting so much time and energy trying to control and plan out my life? Let's face it, we will only have more kids if it is in God's will. And we will only have more kids when it is in God's will. I firmly believe God has more children in store for us, but in the meantime He wants me to enjoy my life to the full.
Since coming to this realization a few months ago, I know God has given me a new outlook. But as we creep closer to this so-called "two year goal" I find my Type A personality trying to control things again. As the quote says, I need to let go of the life I had planned. I had planned to have at least two children by the time I was 30. God obviously had a different plan. I had planned to have my kids only two years apart. Will that happen? I don't know.
I heard a saying once: "If you want to hear God laugh, just tell Him your plans." I'm sure some people find this cruel, as though God is simply toying with us. I, however, love this saying, even more so now that I'm a parent. I imagine Kendry as a teenager, telling me what he wants to do when he graduates high school, where he wants to attend college, where he wants to travel, what kind of job he wants to have. And suppose while he is telling me this I know all along that these dreams of his are only the tip of the iceberg - that he is actually going to attend Harvard and graduate at the top of his class, that he will travel the world, that he will marry the woman of his dreams.
Knowing that he was going to be blessed beyond his wildest dreams, and he didn't have the faintest idea, wouldn't you laugh with joy too? I am sure its the same with God. And being the planner that I am, I know God has probably had a few good chuckles at my expense.
So here I am again, God. I'm tempted to plan; but what I really need is to turn it all over to You. Please help us not to run ahead, but to rest in the knowledge that You have already laid it out for us to travel in Your time. And until the time is right, please keep our little snowflake safe and healthy. Amen.
2 years apart is awesome. My sibling and I are that far apart and we are so close...some studies say 3 years is more the 'ideal'. I don't know, but I do know that when you make the decision to make more babies, God will be with you and looking out for you (and maybe even helping out with this procreation stuff!)
ReplyDelete