background

Monday, November 9, 2009

Birthday and Half-Birthday

Over the last week we celebrated Justin's 29th birthday and Kendry's half-birthday. Justin never cares to make much of a fuss for his birthday, but I still try to put my creative skills to work to make it special and memorable. We always go out for dinner with Nana and Grandpa, but when I asked Justin what he wanted to go for dinner he joked that a Costco hot dog and slice of pizza would treat him just fine. Well, we ruled that out for obvious reasons - somehow it doesn't seem all that grand to dine on your birthday dinner while surrounded by shopping carts filled with economy size laundry detergent and toilet paper (these are the first Costco supplies that came to mind because both are currently on our shopping list). We ended up going out for an Italian dinner, which was delicious. But I still found a fun way to give Justin a hot dog for his birthday.
Yes, that is a birthday cake in the shape of a hot dog and fries. It was incredibly easy to make; the only hard part was making three different color frostings. Once we got home from dinner with Nana and Grandpa we celebrated with cake, ice cream and, of course, presents.
Four days later, we found ourselves in Quincy for Kendry's half-birthday. I still cannot believe he is six months old already. But Kendry was determined to show us just how quickly he is growing up and marked the occasion by cutting his first tooth. He also did a wonderful job of sitting up all by himself for the photo shoot we did with Andrea on Saturday. Could he be any cuter?Of course, now I have to come up with an even better cake idea than the hot dog for Kendry's first birthday. The first 6 months went by so quickly, you can bet the next 6 will go even faster. Should I start planning the party now?

No comments:

Post a Comment