background

Monday, August 10, 2009

My Chefs

For Justin's first Father's Day this last June I gave him two aprons - one for him and a matching one for Kendry. I was quite proud of my gift for many reasons:

First of all, I had purchased the fabric to make Justin an apron well over a year ago and it had just been sitting in my sewing stuff, waiting to be used. Don't ask me how I got so busy that I put off making it for over a year. Seriously, there is no way I was any busier last year than I am now that we have Kendry. Your busyness perspective certainly changes after having a baby, doesn't it?

Secondly, I needed to be really creative with my gift since when Father's Day rolled around I was actually unemployed, hence I really had no spending money for a gift but still needed to come up with something clever. It was his very first Father's Day after all!

Thirdly, Justin loves to cook, so an apron is a great tool for him. You as the reader should already know this if you know anything about Justin or have read some of my previous blog posts.

Which brings me to reason four, which I will admit is a bit of a selfish reason. You see, Justin loves to wipe his hands on anything available when he cooks, meaning that he might go through a few kitchen towels and washclothes by the time he has the meal prepared. This is fine for him, but since laundry is my household duty I really needed to find a better solution. As I've said before, Justin is the main chef in our family. If you figure about four dirty towels/washclothes per meal, times 4 meals each week....well, thats laundry that piles up pretty quickly. In my opinion, towels are for drying stuff off, not cleaning them off! So, an apron was our solution. He has something he can wipe his hands off on, and my towels/washclothes should stay cleaner (I hope!)

And when Kendry gets a little older he has his own apron to help out in the kitchen. Here is Kendry already helping daddy make homemade pot pies for dinner yesterday:





No comments:

Post a Comment